Our school has a great library. And yes, it is a library, not a media center. If you have a crap load of books, that makes you a library, look it up. Just because you have a few outdated computers, doesn't make you a media center. Hey, if we go by those standards, I'm in a media center right now (I.E. my house), and I would venture a guess that you are too (I.E. your house).
But that's not the point. The point is that it's a great tool and has a lot of potential for learning, but it's just too hard to use. It's a lot like C4 explosives. Sure, every man wants a tool this effective. Sure, every man wants to blow things up. Sure, we all want to destroy rock in one second that took millions of years to put together, but C4 just isn't for a residential neighborhood. It's just too bulky to use in our fun-having.
Same idea for the library. If I realize I need to use a computer on an assignment, I need a signed pass from my teacher that says I have his or her permission to use the computer. But I can't go get a signed pass from my teacher that says I can use a computer unless I have a signed pass from my teacher that says I can come to his or her room to get a signed pass to get a computer so I can work on my assignment. It just doesn't make sense. We can't use the library to it's full potential if we can't use it at all.
Also, why do they always have to waste their time telling us about all the great resources they have when we're just going to use the Internet. Let me explain something to everyone right now. And I'm going to say it as simply as I can:
Internet = every book ever written + 25.
I don't care about what books you have because I can go to Google, look something up, and have 105,000,000 pages that I can use before someone who's using the card catalog has one book. That's why I find it completely ridiculous that on some research papers, we can't even use the Internet. Hmmm, let's take the greatest source of information in the history of mankind and not use it.
One other thing I don't like: Lake Michigan Whale Watching. Just because there is one bad website on the Internet doesn't mean that every single one of them except for the ones on the desktop are bad. That's a fact. I read it on the Internet. This website should not be used as an example. If you google "whales in lake michigan" as I did, you will see underneath the first entry, "Contains Ficticious Information." AKA: a disclaimer about how the page is a joke. I find it kind of strange that the librarians are doing exactly what they don't want us to do by taking things out of context and using it as fact; when in reality, any intellegent person would be able to tell the difference between a good fact and a bad fact. They have failed to tell me in all three years at VHS that that site is a spoof, and the only reason it's probably still around is because people like the librarians keeping going to the site and making its hit count go up.
And yes, I am aware that I spelled intelligent wrong. I just wanted to see how many people would catch it.
Featured Site: McDonald's Job Application
Tuesday, September 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
that application is like the stuff you would say, but then not write. I love it.
ive been spelling "rehearsal" wrong for years... and i just realized it a couple months ago.... and i felt stupid
-mollie
Post a Comment