Once again, I am brought back to teachers. Specifically, teachers that just don't have a clue. I feel at this time that it is necessary to inform these teachers that everything they think they know about teenage life is completely wrong. Here are a few common misconceptions among teachers:
1. Teenagers go home and do homework until bedtime without stopping.
2. Teenagers love the class and doing its homework until bedtime.
3. If teenagers do poorly in a class, it is their fault no matter what.
4. Teenagers do not enjoy fun.
All of these statements are not true. For instance, I'd say on a given week, I only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual work on homework. I study for a test in the morning or right before I take it. I do the very barest minimum to still get relatively decent grades. We are not all Brad Cozzas in high school. Or is it Cozzi? I don't know, but we definitely don’t have that kind of work ethic. If a teacher says: Look over Chapter 9 tomorrow, I automatically hear: No homework.
If one student is doing poorly in a class, then he or she may not be trying hard enough. If everybody including the smart kids are struggling, then it isn't that entire class isn't trying, it's that the teacher isn't presenting the information well enough. It's not really that hard to tell if students are doing bad. Some common ways of seeing it is when kids say something to the effect of: "What the f*** is this?!?" or "We never learned this stuff!" when we are doing a worksheet.
I think the biggest problem I have with school is that most teachers just don't make an effort to make school fun and interesting. I bet you five bucks that students will learn more if it is fun than if it is boring as hell.
One other thing, I think school would be better if we didn't have to wear shoes. It would make it much more relaxed and just make a better atmosphere. And maybe put out a few chairs that recline. And maybe give everyone some Kool-Aid. And maybe a waterslide in the gym. And maybe put some of those moving walkways like they have at the airports in the hallways to make it easier to get to class on time. Just something to think about.
Monday, April 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Mrs. Schott gets mad if people ask questions...I didn't like her much last year and I'm glad I don't have her this year.
I know. And my math teacher is always telling us how much everything is worth and all that crap assuming we all are keeping track of our own grades and will argue if our calculations are slightly different than hers! What's that all about?!
Moving walkways may be the best idea i ever heard. The recliners i think is tied for best idea with it though. I like them both.
Moving walkways may be the best idea i ever heard. The recliners i think is tied for best idea with it though. I like them both.
Moving walkways may be the best idea i ever heard. The recliners i think is tied for best idea with it though. I like them both.
Dude, I'm sure you're starting to get suspicious about this wierd guy that posts to your blog every once in a while, but what can I say--it's rockin'!
Anyway, I went to a highschool where they did things like encourage students to take their shoes off. And we might not have had recliners, but lots of our classrooms DID have beanbag chairs.
And guess what?--it STILL didn't make you want to do your homework or anything. It CERTAINLY didn't make taking tests any more laid back (which is what they thought would happen).
Would you believe me if I told you we had a waterslide, too? OK, we didn't. But we DID have a Bengal Tiger that we could all pet and play fetch with and whatnot. OK, we didn't have that, either.
What are your thoughts on escalators?
Post a Comment