Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Spanish Glossaries and People Who Can't Keep Their Hands to Themselves

Every now and then, I'll be turning to the glossary in the back of a one of my text books, and I'll think: "Hmm, something is wrong with this glossary. Something just doesn’t seem to be working right. Ohhh I see, it's in Spanish." But the book that I have is not my Spanish book as one might think. No, no, it is my speech book. I honestly think that the people who made the speech book did not actually believe people would read it. Spanish glossaries make absolutely no sense. The entire book is in English. When the semester is over you get one English credit. Why is someone who doesn't know English using a book completely in English? Is the Spanish speaker supposed to just read the glossary? Did the makers of the book not realize this? Are they retarded? Have you ever tried to read a dictionary? It’s really boring. Don’t you think people ask too many questions?

Anyway, it's not like the Spanish glossary is at the very back of the book in .8 font that no one can read because it is so small. It is right before the real glossary in the same font as the regular English glossary. There is just no logic involved in having a Spanish glossary whatsoever. I think the head text book maker just said: “I feel like putting in a Spanish glossary.” And everyone else was like: “YAY!”

Well, I finished my speech homework in study hall, and I was just sort of staring into space because that is what you do in study hall. I can see out of the corner of my eye the guy sitting two seats down from me. He's one of those people who find it impossible to keep their hands to themselves. I don't know if you've noticed these people, but considering we are in high school, it sure seems like there are a lot of people who can’t. And I also don't know if you've noticed how the only people who can’t keep their hands to themselves are males.

So, this guy is always poking someone or touching someone or scratching someone or giving someone a backrub or fondling someone or thumb wrestling someone (bet you haven't thumb wrestled in a long time) or taking something or, in general, doing something annoying. A sentence of warning: if you find yourself needing to touch something, put your hands in your pockets. I’m sure you were told this when you were little, and you had to go into one of those shops that only sells ceramic figurines, cards, and always smells like pot puree or scented candles. If you put your hands in your pockets, you can’t touch something and break it. That is, unless you trip and fall into a shelf and knock it over. In which case, it would have been better to just have broken one figurine than break an entire shelf full of them. Same general principle here, if you put your hands in your pockets and quit touching people, you won’t look like such a douche bag.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never really look at that book so i wouldnt know that there was spanish in the back of it, that is quite humerous. It really bugs the crap out of me when people constantly have to touch things like a couple of anonymous people at lunch, but those who have lunch with me probably know who they are. Well done Scott.
$3@N

Anonymous said...

I hate them too (*cough* Phil and Greg) I don't know how many times I have asked (told) them not to touch me, but still they insist of physical contact of some sort, and it drives me crazy! I am 100% agreeing with you Scott.

Cameron Hilker said...

I'm agreeing 110% which is impossible but I don't care!

Cameron Hilker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

yeah if i don't understand chem as it is, why do they include it in spanish?

And i generally agree on the touching thing. Those people have no self control.

-Carley

Cameron Hilker said...

they need to take a chill pill

Anonymous said...

speaking of annoying people in study hall, the kid that sits next to me DRUMS on the desk.. i'm like okay buddyyy! do you seriously think i can study with you doing that? cuz i can't! you're actually shaking the table right now..

grrrr... i really don't like that class... hah, do you have the same one next semester?

Anonymous said...

speaking of annoying people in study hall, the kid that sits next to me DRUMS on the desk.. i'm like okay buddyyy! do you seriously think i can study with you doing that? cuz i can't! you're actually shaking the table right now..

grrrr... i really don't like that class... hah, do you have the same one next semester?

*-rebekah

Anonymous said...

oh crapmonkey, i dont know how to delete the first completely anonymous one.. so now you have 3 comments from me.. aren't you lucky!?!? :)

*-rebekah