Thursday, February 23, 2006

Lies and Indiana

There is this lady at my church who is getting pretty old. She's got to be pushing sixty, but her hair was always jet black, which is pretty impressive because she is so old. And then, when I went back to church the next week, her hair was completely gray. In one week, her hair had gone from black to completely gray. I, of course, knew right away that she had colored her hair gray to be polite and not make all the other ladies look old with their gray hair.

Everyone else, however, knew that she colored her hair for a long time, which lead me to a conclusion: There comes a point in a lie, when you can't go back on your word and not look mentally defective. There's a line in the sand, a thresh hold that you can't go back on. If that lady hadn't colored her hair and just let it go gray, no one would notice or care. But because she concealed it for so long, everyone was like: wow.

I try not to dabble with lies. I don't like lying, and I hate being lied to. I'm just telling you now that if you lie to me, your stock automatically goes down 75% in my book. Lying in my opinion is a lot like a life of crime: Sometimes I want to do it, but I know it is probably a bad idea.

On my way home from school, I'm not sure why, but I was trying to remember the state slogan of Indiana. I finally remembered it to be "The Crossroads of America". Then I thought maybe it's time for a new slogan, so I tried to think of one. I couldn't really think of anything good, but here are a few I thought of:

Indiana: We're next to Illinois.
Indiana: Now with running water.
Indiana: Some of us can read!
Indiana: There's nothing to do here.
Indiana: We have corn.
Indiana: Yes we're different from Iowa.
Indiana: The last interesting thing to happen here were glaciers.
Indiana: The Colts almost made the Super Bowl.
Indiana: We like basketball, but we sure suck at it.
What do you get when you combine Chicago with Kentucky? Indiana.
Indiana: At least we're better than Wyoming.
Indiana: You can't get from Ohio to Illinois without it....unless you go really far out of your way.
Indiana: Seriously, there is a lot of corn.
Indiana: The people are fatter than the cows.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indiana: The Colts almost made the Super Bowl.
Indiana: We like basketball, but we sure suck at it.

Those two rock. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Indiana: The last interesting thing to happen here were glaciers.
Indiana: We have corn.

Those are my personal favorites.

Anonymous said...

Indiana- the only reason we're republican is because the amish don't know how to use the voting computers

Indiana- we're like one big Seattle

~Carley

Cameron Hilker said...

Hey! I'm a republican!

Anonymous said...

me too! *sticks tongue out at Carley*